A huge thanks to BTW for developing an interactive map for our event. This will be a big help to out of town support vehicle traffic in particular. atmcyclerace.btw.nz
- A fantastic well marshalled event embracing the Surf Highway and rural Taranaki
- Starter pack with Sponsors goodies
- Event cycle gear available for purchase
- Minor Spot prizes at registration
- Sponsors Expo on the night of the registration
- Event photos available for purchase from Marathon Photos
- Complimentry food and drink voucher to use after you finish, offering a chicken, vege or hamburger and an alcoholic or soft drink option
- Big screen to show out on the course clips and finishers
- Live band leading up to prize giving.
- Food and drink available for purchase all afternoon at affordable prices
- Great main prize giving at the earlier time of 5.00pm
- Events Taranaki is proud to be staging the official fundraising cycle event for the Taranaki Cycle Park
This event has been organised primarily as a recreational cycling event. It has 148km of magnificent mountain and rural scenery passing through 11 Taranaki townships. There are 5 transition areas on the course and each has water, Peak electrolyte and toilets available. The transitions are at Okato, Opunake, Kaponga, Pembroke School and Inglewood for the teams and Te Kiri for the 2 person change over. There are also 4 bike mechanic vans on the course should you need assistance.
This cycle event caters for all levels of cyclists and there are several options to choose from:
|Main event sponsor
|Solo||148kms – Starts at 7.30am 1 lap of the course|
|Solo 74km||Starts from Te Kiri 11.00am with an option of getting yourself to the start or catching a bus with your bike, extra cost $30.00|
|Solo 3 person team||Starts at 7.30am 1 lap of the course the time of the last person finishing in your team will be your official team time.|
|Solo 2 laps||Starts at 2.00am. We will provide a tail end Charlie, however you need to be self supporting for the first lap. 4 Mechanics & St John’s on course, water, electrolyte, toilets at all relay changes on 2nd lap. Check in at start of 2nd lap corner Rogan and Gover Street.|
|2 person relay 74kms each|
|3-6 person Business House Challenge. All team members must work for the business, are family members or clients of the business team entered.|
|3-6 person team relay, this is a tag team event and includes the High School Challenge|
|Accumulator 1-6 person progressive relay. 1 rider starts and collects the other riders along the way, all finishing together|
Teams need to provide their own support vehicles. The event will culminate with a prize giving at 5.00pm.
- Cyclists Route Map
- Course profile Solo & 2 person relay
- Course profile for relay teams
- Support vehicle instructions
- Support vehicle map
Safety is of prime importance with the Police, Taranaki District Health Board and St Johns all involved helping make a safe event. On the day of the event, support vehicles must leave the outskirts of New Plymouth before 7.00am, and are prohibited on the course between New Plymouth and Opunake after 7.30am. Support vehicles must stay on the support vehicle route from Okato. Click here for details. To avoid disqualification all Cycle Challenge rules must be adhered to. Road rules must be obeyed at all times.
- Leg 1 New Plymouth to Okato is hilly – 27km
- Leg 2 Okato to Opunake is undulating – 35km
- Leg 3 Opunake to Kaponga is undulating – 26km
- Leg 4 Kaponga to Pembroke School climbing- 18km
- Leg 5 Pembroke School to Inglewood relatively easy ride to Inglewood – 25 km
- Leg 6 Inglewood to New Plymouth is a relatively easy ride with two hills prior to entering New Plymouth – 17km
There is an Industry Expo on Friday at the TSB stadium. Registration packs must be collected from the TSB Stadium in Mason Drive between 3.00pm and 10.00pm on Friday night 25th January, or on Saturday between 6.00am and 7.00am. The TSB Stadium is situated on Mason Drive beside the New Plymouth racecourse.
The Taranaki Challenge starts from the TSB Stadium in Mason Drive New Plymouth on Saturday 26th January 2018. Assemble from 6.30am onwards. Tandems and Solos start at 7.30am. Relay teams will start approximately 5 minutes after solo riders have left and are not to assemble with the solo riders. This will be monitored. 74km Solo ride starts from Te Kiri 11.00am with an option of getting yourself to the start or catching a bus with your bike, extra cost $30.00. All results will be based on wave start time.
The Taranaki Cycle Challenge will finish at the TSB Stadium in Mason Drive New Plymouth. A carnival atmosphere will prevail with a live band. Food and refreshments will be available. This is not a BYO event. Prizegiving starts at 5.00pm and major prize winners must be present and present ID to collect your prize.
Noel Yarrow Memorial Trophy
Please email us nominations for the Noel Yarrow Memorial Trophy.
This is for an entrant who has overcome a huge adversity to participate.
EVENT DIRECTOR SELWYN BROWN
Phone 06 7588200 Fax 06 7588201 Email email@example.com
The organisers wish to acknowledge the great support given by all sponsors, volunteers and helpers of this event.
Please consider adding a donation to the CanTeen and/or the Velodrome Trust with your entry.